Nau mai, haere mai, Welcome to the Waterworks!
“Something Old, Nothing New
Most things Borrowed that were once Loved and New”
Check out New Zealand’s quirkiest theme park: Located in Coromandel Town, The Waterworks is the ultimate kiwi experience for people of all ages.
Water is used to keep time on the wooden water clock; watch out though it often works on Coromandel time. We’ve got water cannons to blast away on and bikes that pump H2O. Our human sized hamster wheel is an absolute hoot and our mad inventions leave people wondering “what the…?”!
As well as the array of water powered inventions to look at, play on, or interact with, The Waterworks has a generous childrens Playground Area perfect for picnics, an onsite café, free use of BBQs and a swimming hole to cool off in during the hot summer months.
The Waterworks is inspired by the ability to create something new out of something old, over 70% of our attractions are made from recycled materials and are powered by water.
The Waterworks is just 7km from Coromandel Town on the 309 Road. What are you waiting for? Bring the whole family! The Waterworks is dog friendly, wheelchair accessible and suitable for all ages. Visit us today for a day of good old fashioned Kiwi fun!
There is something like 1,260,000,000,000,000,000,000 litres of water on earth and we’ve taken our portion of it and turned it into liquid fun!
Come along and see for yourself what a little bit of “kiwi ingenuity” can do!
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Here at The Waterworks we promote and care for our natural environment by reducing, reusing and recycling wherever possible. Our objective is to protect the beauty and the peace of our surroundings so everyone can enjoy them.
- 70% of all materials used in the construction of our attractions have been recycled and once had a life as something else.
- 100% of the wood used comes from a sustainable forest 35km away in Colville.
- 100% of the water used to power the attractions is gravity fed from the creek. No electricity is used in the park’s gardens.
- 100% of our water is heated by solar power.
- 100% of our wastewater is filtered and recycled and used in our vegetable garden.
- 100% of all salad items eaten in the café are grown here in our vegetable garden. The eggs come from our own chooks, which in turn are fed the waste scraps from the kitchen.
- 100% of the organic waste from the park garden goes into making our compost.
In making the attractions for The Waterworks we have recycled and reused amongst other items: car axles, telegraph poles, toilets, a discarded swimming pool filter, buckets, numerous reused pots and pans, children’s potties, a copper hot water cylinder, a broken washing machine, mussel floats, tyres, teaspoons, and more … come and see for yourself!